Monthly Archives: July 2012

New member of the spindle family!

Thursday of last week someone mentioned on the forum I’m on for fiber tools made by Golding Fiber Tools that he had up a special edition spindle made from 2800 year old Russian Bog Oak!  I quickly snapped one up, my love of his spindles and my love of old, ancient things making it far too tempting.

Bog oak, or any bog wood, comes from wood that has been preserved in peat bogs around the world.  It can be hundreds or thousands of years old, and is darkened from the conditions that have preserved it.

This spindle came with a copy of the certificate of age, stating that it’s Radiocarbon date is 2840 years old, plus or minus fifty years.  It’s 2″ diameter, with a walnut shaft and bronze alloy ring, for a weight of 0.46 ounces.  It will be great for fine fibers, and fit right in with my other three spindles from him!

Russian Bog Oak spindle

spindle, certificate in background


Russian Bog Oak spindle closeup

spindle closeup


underside of spindle

underside of spindle




Tour de Fleece spinning

On Ravelry they hold, during the Tour de France, an event called the Tour De Fleece, where folks can join teams of all kinds and participate in challenges and celebrate the challenge of the bike event.  I decided to participate this year, and use it as an excuse to spin up some of the samples that I’ve been sitting on. 

I started with guanaco that I’ve been sitting on for quite a while, intimidated by it’s fineness and expense.  Guanaco is a South American camelid, similar to llamas and alpacas, with finer fiber, though not as fine as the vicuña.  The fiber I have is a beautiful natural cinnamon color

singles from the guanaco

Guanaco singles on my Golding

Above you can see the fiber and the Golding spindle I was working on.  I did singles in three “batches” on the spindle, winding into a ball, joining the new “batch” into the same ball.  I then took the ball and using my winder, made a center-pull ball.  This was scary, as singles can tangle *very* easily, and this was a fine fiber, so the possibility of the center collapsing into a knotted mess was… high.  A rolled up piece of paper that would expand as the center did helped.

Guanaco center pull singles ball

I then used both ends to wind a plying ball.

Guanaco plying ball being made

Guanaco plying ball being made

This made the plying a lot easier because I did not have to manage the center pull ball from collapsing on itself and the singles tangling.  I could have also divided the singles into two balls and either plied directly from them or made a plying ball, but doing it this way while a bit scarier and taking a bit more time also allowed me to use all of the singles, with nothing left over because there was more yardage on one.  Measuring weight will get one close, but since this is hand spun and I’m not perfect with my spinning, there will be variances in thickness, and that will usually give at least some variance in yardage if measuring by weight. 

I plied this on the same spindle.  Normally I’d used a heavier spindle but I thought I would try it.  I was really pleased with the results.  This hasn’t been “finished” yet, meaning it hasn’t been washed, so it may change slightly when I do.   The niddy noddy I still use is one my father made me when I first started spinning.  It’s simple, and since the shaft is hard for me to grip I will tape cardboard around it to help, but it works like it should!

Guanaco skeined

Guanaco being skeined


Skein of guanaco

Skein of guanaco

Guanaco close up

Guanaco close up

This was one ounce of fiber, spun fine (there’s a dime with the skein for comparison).  It made up about 150 yards.  It was lovely to spin, and was really just a “blob” of fiber, not a particular prep, so some of the unevenness could have been dealt with if I had slowed down a little bit more.  It’s certainly a fiber that I will indulge myself with again!

After the guanaco, I moved on to a Blue Faced Leicester and silk blend.  It’s 85% BFL and 15% silk. 



The actual color was very hard to capture on this one.  It’s most accurately the browner parts that you see, though I would still call it mostly grey.  I spun it on the same spindle, though with this fiber I took care to do it slowly so I could smooth it down as I spun, using a lot of park-and-draft.  I wound it off into a single ball as before and then made a center pull ball.  This I plied on my heavier Golding.  I was having a bad fibro day when I plied it and completely spaced out making a plying ball until I was part way through plying from the center pull.  I considered stopping and going back, but pressed on.  It wasn’t terrible and while next time I will try to remember the ball, (the extra time it takes to make one is totally worth it) I am very pleased with the results.


BFL/tussah spun up

BFL/tussah closer

BFL/tussah closer

I am actually more pleased with this than the guanaco!  There will certainly be more of this in my future.  There was also one ounce of this, and it worked up to about 134 yards.  This is also “unfinished” at this point, and may change slightly once washed.

I have also started a silk and linen 50/50 blend, that I am actually really disliking.  I guess I’m a critter fiber kind of gal!  I may decide to not finish that because I think little fine flax fibers are aggravating my allergies.  I do like linen, but I haven’t spun it much.  There’s so many different things out there that I don’t see any point in fighting with something I dislike.  However I’ll try another technique or two and see if we can come to an agreement, at least for the ounce that I have.